Note de ce sujet :
  • Moyenne : 0 (0 vote(s))
Rims for Nuvinci N360
The following post is an entire topic copied from the discontinued NuVinci Forum. The majority is written by members of the old forum and not by me.

I thought I would post this as it might be helpful to anyone considering building their own wheel.

Rims for Nuvinci N360
by jceledon on Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:59 pm
Hi,

I am trying to build a 26" wheel for the NuvinciN360 but I am having some problems to have an acceptable angle between nipple and spoke with a 2-cross lacing. I read in some forums that Rigida rims work well for the NuvinciN360 but haven't been able to find a distributor in Canada or the US (these rims can be easily found in the UK).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nuvinci-N360-I...0683244342

I need to build a strong wheel and for this reason don't want to go to 1-cross. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as to what rims I can use for a 2-cross pattern in a 26" wheel?

Thank!

I forgot to add that I have a 36 holes hub.

Re: Rims for Nuvinci N360
by NuVinciSupport on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:14 pm

In theory, any rim should work as long as you are using between 13-15 gauge spokes, and the length is correct, you should be fine. Also, 1 or 2 cross is recommended. We do not recommend 3 cross as the angle puts too much stress on the spoke itself.

Keep On Smooth Cruising
NuVinci Support

by Oran on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:59 pm

This post has reminded me of something I meant to ask when I built my wheel.

How important is it that the spokes and nipples are in line?

I used a 2 cross pattern and the spokes are bent as they leave the nipples because the rim I used doesn’t allow for different nipple angles. The tech manual says to only use a 2 cross pattern if the rim effectively allows the nipples to be in-line with the spokes.

Does anyone know if the bend in the spokes will weaken the wheel or make the spokes fail due to fatigue?

How do you know when buying a rim if it allows for different nipple angles?

Thanks
........__o
........\<,
......()/()

by FransM on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:08 am

Obviously it is preferable that the spokes and nipples are in line, and a bend in the spokes may increase the chance of spoke failure. For large diameter hubs, a special rim has been developed by Rigida: Andra, where the spoke holes are drilled at an angle to ensure straight spokes. The Andra has no eyelets but the rim is enforced in the middle.
The first wheels I wanted fitted with the NuVinci hub were laced by a specialized wheel-builder, using normal double-eyelet rims, the spokes are slightly bent and I have had no problems. Nowadays I lace them myself, still using standard rims without problems.

by The_Metatron on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:51 pm

"Oran wrote:This post has reminded me of something I meant to ask when I built my wheel.
How important is it that the spokes and nipples are in line?

I used a 2 cross pattern and the spokes are bent as they leave the nipples because the rim I used doesn’t allow for different nipple angles. The tech manual says to only use a 2 cross pattern if the rim effectively allows the nipples to be in-line with the spokes.

Does anyone know if the bend in the spokes will weaken the wheel or make the spokes fail due to fatigue?

How do you know when buying a rim if it allows for different nipple angles?

Thanks"

My Gazelle wheels came laced in a 3-cross pattern. When I first got my 2011 N360, the local bike shop wheel building guy imitated the pattern and gave me another 3-cross wheel. One of the spokes snapped at the nipple within a couple months. The local bike shop wheel building guy re-laced it for me with a 2-cross pattern. There is still a visible angle where the spoke meets the nipples, but no breakage yet.

by jceledon on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:51 pm

For what I read on other forums, Rigida Andra rims are specifically designed for Rohloff hubs or any other large diameter hub. These rims are drilled so that nipples and spokes are in-line despite the large diameter of the hub.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rigida-andra-...prod13565/

http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/models.html
(just open some of the pdf files with the detailed description and you will find why Thorn uses Rigida Andra 30 rims)

So far I haven't been able to find a retailer of Rigida rims in the US or Canada. The only option I see is to buy them from bike shops in the UK or other European countries where they are very popular.

It would have been nice to know of this problem ahead of time to buy the right rim.

Many people report in forums of spokes breaking with large diameter hubs because of nipples and spokes not in-line, so it is a problem.

by NuVinciSupport on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:16 pm

That is good information to know about the Rigida rims. Thank you for sharing on that one.

Keep On Smooth Cruising
NuVinci Support

by Oran on Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:12 pm

Thanks for your replies. It’s good to know I’m not the only person to build a wheel with bent spokes.

I did some research on wheel building. Apparently a hub with a large diameter flange makes a wheel stronger so I was thinking a 1x pattern might be strong enough.
Also if the spokes are bent sharply as they enter the nipples it will reduce the chance of them failing due to fatigue.
........__o
........\<,
......()/()
- Oran
Répondre

Atteindre :

Utilisateur(s) parcourant ce sujet : 1 visiteur(s)